Tattoos

May 22, 2008

Last night I went to a tattoo parlor (thanks for the recommendation, Jerry Boy) with my friend Renee. Neither of us got tattoos. Renee got her belly button pierced (I wonder if her husband knows yet…). And I took photos.

It was good for me to be in a place like that because it’s so not my world. I’ve thought about tattoos for a long time and more seriously for the last 3 years. I just can’t decide what I want or where I want it.

When I was in Wilmington, NC, 3 years ago, there was a Miami Ink marathon on the cable tv in my hotel room and a tattoo parlor right across the street from where I was staying. I was so ready and wanting to get one to mark that time in my life. But I just didn’t know what I wanted. It’s something that I’m going to put a LOT of thought into because, hello, it’s going to be with me the rest of my life!

I want something with meaning. What do I want to mark me? To define me? Something that will always be a part of me…

I love Lo’s tattoos because they each tell a story of great significance and meaning for her. No offense, but I don’t want just a pretty flower or a cute lady bug.

I want a location that won’t be evident to all, one that I can cover up. I’ve considered a toe or the top of my foot, but those wear off and fade more quickly than elsewhere. I considered a hip, but upon inspection last night, discovered that I don’t have the most beautiful hips in the world and don’t know if I’d want to share them with anyone. I can’t do the lower back, because that’s too overdone and carries a certain connotation with it. Upper back/shoulder blade area??

So much to think about, so many things to consider. Pain (the name of the tattoo artist) gave me websites that will show “billions of tattoos.” I don’t need MORE choices; I’m already overwhelmed!

Thoughts?



PS, go ahead and disappove, Mom... ;)

Renee & Pain


Me, overwhelmed by choices

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I don't know how I would feel about having a guy named "Pain" get anywhere close to me with a needle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, thanks for the shout out! Yes, I love my tattoos, and mainly because they're not just some random design, but something that I came up with, and that really has meaning behind it. My first one is on my right shoulder blade, and I really like the spot. It's not obvious if you don't want it to be, but yet easy to show people if you want to do so. Plus, it's very small on the pain scale compared to feet, and even inner hip area. Let me know if you have any questions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting a tattoo this summer --send me the websites with all the tattoo options!!!! Right Now!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive