Just In Case

May 21, 2008

Pretty much every afternoon I get a sweet tooth. It doesn’t need to be much, but I need SOMEthing sweet to help get me through the rest of the day.

I frequently keep snacks in my desk drawer for those moments or for mid-morning snacks on days when I don’t have a chance to grab breakfast. Granola bars, cereal bars, South Beach bars, etc.

Yesterday the craving hit hard, and I knew I was in need of something. Too bad my drawer was empty, other than 1 cereal bar. That wasn’t gonna cut it. This girl needed chocolate!!! My afternoon walk, therefore, led me to the Chocolate Café (could a girl ask for anything more?), where I got the cheapest bakery item that I thought would meet my needs – a brownie, which I then heated in the microwave when I got back to work.

I’m sorry to say I was quite disappointed. Coming from the CHOCOLATE CAFÉ I would expect the brownie to surpass all other brownies, but even I can make better brownies than this!

So coming back to work after lunch today, I remembered to grab a few things to add to the drawer just in case. I brought 1 Hershey’s Kiss, 1 Curves Chocolate Peanut granola bar, 1 small package of mini rice cakes with “chocolatey drizzle” (sounds scary, I know, but I got it free, so I’m not gonna let it go to waste), and a bag of m & m’s that have been sitting in my kitchen untouched for months.

I think I should be all set.

Too bad I can’t keep ice cream in my desk drawer too. Once the weather starts warming up, ice cream always sounds good in the afternoon. Yum…

What treat gets you through the afternoon?

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Your comment about ice cream reminded me of the fond memory I have of my old work position. The department managers used to hand out ice cream bars to the office as a surprise on a particularly warm (or stressful) afternoon. It was such a treat!

    Although I usually love something chocolate (or for some reason "dessert" coffee), I was delightfully surprised at how sweet and refreshing my baby carrots tasted for lunch after a long morning washing the car. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually a TWIX. Today I surprised myself with a NESTLE CRUNCH.

    But yes, there's some form of chocolate involved. Sorry to hear the brownie was a drag. Did Andy tell you that they put a Chocolate Cafe in my city?

    Yes. The Chocolate Cafe of the South Bend Choclate Company. In Ohio. Imagine the possibilities. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, what a fun treat from your dept. managers! By the way, I'm assuming all the leah comments on my blog are from Leah K. Let me know if you are a different Leah. :)

    Burton, I haven't been able to get into the Nestle Crunch bars so much. I used to like the Twix with PEANUT BUTTER! They are so hard to find! No, I did NOT know about the SB CC in Ohio, wild!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister brought in homemade chocolate chip cookies and skim milk this afternoon. That was about the ultimate in afternoon snacking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that sounds *perfect*, Becky! And I love that you specify SKIM milk; that's what makes it best! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive