Life with Jesus?

June 30, 2008

I saw this license plate on a vehicle at Super Target (the happiest place on earth).


Believe it or not, I'm trying to cut back on photo taking because I'm so buried in them, but I HAD to capture & post this.


"Follow Jesus"

Does this imply that if I do "follow Jesus", my life will be like this picture - beautiful flowers, prancing white stallions, flying butterflies and swans (or whatever those are supposed to be), perfection, almost like a dream?

A) Do I want that?

B) Does the Bible promise that?

The Bible talks about the reality of suffering, the inevitability of pain and trouble. There's a whole book dedicated to it, Job.

I have many MANY friends who are following Jesus, and their life is NOT what you see pictured above. It's full of tragedy, unforeseen problems, loss, sadness, grief, brokenness, darkness, feelings of abandonment. I hear their hearts breaking, and mine aches for them and their pain.

I think how unfair it is. I struggle with God. Why would He give and then take away? I get so caught up in the unfairness of it all that I forget it's all His to begin with.

Is it fair how we continue to turn our backs on God and yet He still blesses us? Do we really deserve any blessings?

There's a song I hear often called "Blessed Be Your Name" that talks about how no matter what our circumstances, the name of the Lord will be praised. I especially like the line "You give and take away. You give and take away. My heart will choose to say Lord, blessed be your name!"

Our praising of Him is a choice that we can make in good times or in bad times. No matter what the current situation is, He is still GOD.

I really didn't intend to preach a sermon when I started this blog or when I took that picture. I just wanted to give you something to think about.

Blessed be Your name
In the land that is plentiful,
Where Your streams of abundance flow,
Blessed be Your name.

Blessed be Your name,
When I'm found in the desert place,
Though I walk through the wilderness,
Blessed be Your name.

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise.
And, when the darkness closes in, Lord,
Still I will say,

Blessed be the name of the Lord,
Blessed be Your name.
Blessed be the name of the Lord,
Blessed be Your glorious name.

Blessed be Your name,
When the sun's shining down on me,
When the world's all as it should be,
Blessed be Your name.

Blessed be Your name,
On the road marked with suffering,
Though there's pain in the offering,
Blessed be Your name.

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise.
When the darkness closes in, Lord,
Still I will say,

Blessed be the name of the Lord,
Blessed be Your name.
Blessed be the name of the Lord,
Blessed be Your glorious name.

Blessed be the name of the Lord,
Blessed be Your name.
Blessed be the name of the Lord,
Blessed be Your glorious name.

You give and take away.
You give and take away.
My heart will choose to say,
Lord, blessed be Your name.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

James 1: 2-4

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I'm right there with you...

    That song especially is very dear to my heart. The first time it was really "real" was the night I found out I was pregnant and yet driving down to the hospital because they thought Camryn had leukemia.

    He gives. He takes away.

    Just like that...But he promises to walk with us and quite honestly, I would rather have nothing and have Him than to think I have it all and yet really have nothing...

    Love you! Cherish you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. I'm glad you posted that picture otherwise I might have thought you were joking!

    Great post... PC's sermon this past week was kind of related to this in many ways-- what with him going through a lot of difficult times with his health. He talked about Isaiah 43:1-3b:

    1 But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob,
    he who formed you, O Israel:
    "Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine.

    2 When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;and when you pass through the rivers,they will not sweep over you.When you walk through the fire,you will not be burned;the flames will not set you ablaze.

    3 For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;

    Note in verse two that it doesn't say "IF" you pass through the waters, but rather "WHEN!" As humans we all go through hard times in our lives. When you become a Christian it doesn't mean it will get any better (sometimes it seems, it often gets WORSE!) It's like you are looking at a weather map.. you are either in a storm, just coming out of a storm, or you are having a sunny day, but inevitably there will be another storm coming from the west shortly.

    The difference with being a Christian is, that you don't have to face those storms alone. God has promised that he won't give us more than we can bear (even though it often FEELS like it is more, but we often don't realize how strong God has made us or IS making us by refining us by fire.)

    God will often purposefully put things in our path to challenge and shape our character. I know for me it doesn't mean I struggle any less with the "fairness" of it all sometimes, but I rest in the fact that God ultimately knows. Knows the outcome... knows what is best for me even when I don't... knows that sometimes I have to be completely broken for me to grow or even surrender to Him. Slowly I am learning.

    wow... didn't mean to rant back there, but thanks for making me think and giving me the chance to respond.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive