25 Hours in Lansing

December 08, 2008

My long time friends Mark and Jenny live just two hours away from me, right by Lansing, Michigan. Being so close, I am able to see them relatively often, and I am grateful for that.

Every time I go there I know I am in for a wonderful time, no matter what we do or don't do. It is a guaranteed good time, usually like my own little retreat.

Here's how the latest visit went:

Before I was even out of my car, 5 year old Noah was on the doorstep greeting me. He loves his Aunt Jennifer, and I was stunned to hear little 2 1/2 year old Ava now saying my name - "Dennifer"!

We visited and played and laughed, and then the adults headed out while the kids stayed home with a sitter. We met up with some friends for a great Italian dinner at this amazing local place called Cugino's or something like that. The atmosphere and food were both great! I had the Hawaiian Calzone, mmm!

We then went over to Mark and Jenny's church for a fabulous and hilarious improv comedy show! Jenny had organized the event and brought in a phenomical group called 321 Improv. I laughed so hard my stomach was hurting in under an hour. After the show, there was a wonderful dessert buffet set up for all to enjoy as we mingled with another.

Jenny stayed behind to schmooze with the improv team, as Mark and I went off on an adventure. We had a coupon for $20 towards anything at Kohl's. But it had to be used by the end of business that day! We ended up with these requirements for our game:

  • $20
  • 10 minutes
  • get something we could all enjoy

Wow, this was tough. It was stressful and difficult, but, of course, still fun. We ended up needing a little over 20 minutes. Come on - I was wearing heeled boots. If I would have known in advance, I'd have brought my running shoes. We finally decided on 2 games. They had great sale prices, and we were able to get the game Trouble and a To-Go Disney version of Scene-It.

I know they will all enjoy those for a long time and will remember the fun adventure everytime they play with them.

Mark, Jenny, and I had a lot of good conversation Saturday night as we sat in front of the fireplace until about 1 AM.

Sunday I woke up and could hear the kids. I always love waking up to their voices. We all got ready for church and got to see Mark sing with the choir and Noah sing with the kids choir. Precious! After church we went to brunch (mmm!) at Sophia's, a place I've wanted to visit for awhile. The kids were crazy as we waited for our food. The food was great. I did a little shopping with Jenny, and then back at home, we all worked on a Gingerbread House (my first time)!

Next was nap time for pretty much everyone. Mark may have stayed awake playing Wii. I was snuggled up on the loveseat by the fireplace with a blanket and a cat keeping me warm. It was so peaceful. When I woke up the kids were already around, and they were happy to see me awake.

After a bit more chatting, I had to head home.

25 hours in Lansing. Always a great time!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. It was a fun 25 hours for us.
    Can't wait to have you back again
    Though maybe I should come to your apartment for a retreat....hmmm

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive