Accomplishments

May 28, 2008

So, I've been thinking a lot lately about goals and accomplishments.

I take pride in accomplishing things, even little things. Here are a few recent examples:
  • clearing off the top level of my desk at work

  • making multi-grain pancakes with chocolate chips and raspberries

  • baking homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

  • cleaning my apartment for a solid hour, followed by walking for an hour

  • putting together the secretary's desk

  • sharing an idea during a meeting and getting a really great response

It's enough to make me shout gleefully, "I'm so achieved!!!"

I'm trying to push myself. I'm trying to do things that I normally wouldn't do, things that are maybe a bit out of my comfort zone. I'm not jumping in full force, but I'm gradually getting there.

I was just recently reminded though that I might not always have the chance to accomplish some of these things.

When I was in Nebraska last month, my friends and I came across this tree that just begs to be climbed. It's angled in such a way that you can just climb right up it. I couldn't get it out of my head and before we left I insisted that we do it. We all took turns and of course took pictures.

For some reason once I got up there, I kinda freaked out. It suddenly seemed I was so far from the ground. But I stayed. I forced myself. And afterwards I felt so accomplished! I was so glad I had done it.

And today I discovered it was a good thing I did it then. Some strong storms came through Nebraska, and the tree is now down. It broke my heart to read about it here. But it made last month's tree climbing experience even more meaningful, knowing I wouldn't be able to return to it again if I hadn't done it then but later decided to.

I don't want to live in fear. I want to LIVE. And I want to live courageously and boldly!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This is why I love your blog. I'm sad because a tree that's been there my whole life is gone. You draw a life lesson out of it! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive