Do It Yourself Coffee Disaster

April 14, 2008

I am considering giving up on making coffee. I make coffee almost every day. Unfortunately, it’s rarely good.

It started off really strong (or so I was told). So I decreased the amount of coffee. Now it’s struggling to be strong enough. Or it just has an unpleasant taste to it.

I’ve tried 3 different kinds of coffee. And I’ve tried 4 different kinds of creamers. It just isn’t tasting good.

Today I measured the coffee exactly – no rounded tablespoons like usual. It tastes weak and then with a weird after-taste.

I really want to be able to make my own since it’s so much cheaper than buying every day. But when it consistently turns out this bad…what do I do???

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Very interesting. As someone who also drinks way to much coffee. Here are my thoughts to your dilema.

    1. How's your water? Does it taste bad normally? You use cold water right?
    2. What kind of beans are you using? Do you grind your own? That's the best option, or at least grind them fresh at the store before you purchase them.
    3. Here is an example of how I measure. So I am making 4 cups/servings. The directions say 1tablespoon per serving, I would use 5 heaping tablespoons -- and it's a little strong, but all in all real good. I like my coffee on the strong side.
    4. Do you have a metal filter or a paper. Metal filters make better coffee.

    Good luck! :)
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously should grind you up a few mornings worth of different coffees that we use. Maybe you just need to try to rule out the fact that it's not just the stuff you have that is bad. How many servings do you usually make per day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom is quite the at-home barista and would agree with Ben about the water. She recommends COLD, FILTERED water to start.

    I'd have to ask her about fresh grounds vs. pre-packed (I think she mix and matches to create her own blends).

    Best of luck on finding the right coffee brewing secrets!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive