Home

October 23, 2008

So, I'm sitting on my great green sofa with amazing sunlight shining in the window. It's early afternoon, and I'm home on my lunch break. I'm not eating. Not hungry. Don't feel good. I've had a tummy ache for the last couple days off and on.

I'm doing laundry. Waiting for the washer to finish so I can transfer it to the dryer.

I'm going out of town tomorrow. I'm excited. Going back to Wisconsin. To my old town of Fort Atkinson. I think this will always be home to me. That's really funny because I was only there three years. I guess it just made that much of an impression on me.

Wisconsin is a great state to call "home." I guess I say it's where I'm from. I really never know how to answer the question "Where are you from?". That IS my answer. My response is usually:

"I never know how to answer that question." If they don't interject, I continue with, "Minnesota, Wisconsin, South Bend, L.A., South Bend."

For some people, actually a lot of people, that seems like a lot. To me, it's not. It's just what I know. To me it seems weird to live in one town your whole life.

A lot of my family is in Wisconsin. I guess my roots are in Wisconsin. My memories. My childhood. It's been 1 1/2 years since I've been in Fort. I always love to see all the changes. It's exciting to see all the development downtown along the river! I go back to the places that hold my memories. Of course everything seems different now from the eyes of an adult.

No doubt I'll go back and visit my old houses and my old haunts this weekend. I'll reminisce about what it was like 20 years ago. And I'll wonder what it would be like if I returned for good.

They say "You can't go home again." I know you can.

It's just home as it is now. Not the home you knew as a child.

I'm going home this weekend, and I'm excited. I know I'll be warmly welcomed.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive