Listen Carefully or You Could Miss It

November 23, 2010

So many days I get tired of dealing with the kids (oh, by the way, I'm teaching now) who don't care for my help. They want the answers. Some don't even care about that.

I have to teach them to be grateful for my (or other teachers') help.

I also have to learn that I can't always help those students who don't want or aren't ready to admit their need for help from a more experienced, more educated person.

This morning one of our rough kids (yah, this kid likes to fight with ya, but I can tell deep down he's worth fighting for) was pleading for my help in math. He expected me to give him the answer, but I knew he had to learn it for himself. I taught him what he needed to do to figure out the problem and find the solution. Once he knew the answer was right he couldn't wait to get out of there.

Feeling used, I started pondering about which next student I can help who will actually hopefully, maybe appreciate it. All of the sudden, as he walked past me out the door, I heard him make a sound which echoed in my head, "Thank you!"

It literally took me a couple seconds to process it was so unexpected.

If I would have already moved on to the next student I probably wouldn't have heard it. I would have missed his expression of gratitude if I wasn't listening for it.

How many times do we run to our Father above hoping for a quick and easy answer and so often forget to express gratitude for His unending mercy, His patience, His guidance, His wisdom?

May we never forget to express our thankfulness, and may we shout it from the rooftops for the rest of the class to hear!

With that, I boldly express my gratitude this Thanksgiving season...

  • my HUSBAND
  • my husband's family
  • my family
  • our family
  • our jobs
  • our affordable and adorable apartment
  • our two working cars
  • the opportunity to serve others
  • our health
  • good, restful sleep
  • our opportunities to travel
  • Thanksgiving Break
  • God's faithfulness
  • God's patience
  • my husband's patience
  • coffee
  • friends who travel life with you so much they become family
  • new beginnings
  • date nights
  • starting new traditions
  • sunny days
  • the gift of salvation through no work of our own
Looking forward to being with family this week. Lots and lots of family. I am blessed.

Us on a recent trip to Chicago

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. #1: Love the argyle :-)
    #2: Thanks for the thankfulness reminder.
    #3: Welcome back! I've missed your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely stated. And so true! You are blessed as am I. Thank you for the reminder to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thankful for so much...all of which has come through the hands of our Mighty God! Today I'm thankful that God brought beauty from ashes through a wonderful daughter-in-law named Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow!

    Amen

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive