Unexpected Surprises

March 21, 2008

Since the great Spring Blizzard of the Midwest forced me to cancel my plans of visiting my soon to be married friend, Velvet, I ended up going in to work today. I figured I can definitely save the vacation day for later, namely June.

We got a company wide email from the President about 2:20 saying Easter weekend was to commence immediately and we could all go home. What a nice, unexpected treat!

But even better than that, I decided since I was in town, I'd go to the Good Friday service at my old church. I forgot how liturgical/traditional they have become as I have gone in the other direction, becoming accustomed to a more contemporary style of worship. So I was real fidgety and antsy during the service, but that's beside the point, and maybe it was just due to lots of coffee consumption anyways.

Walking into the church, I was surprised to see my dear friends D & B who moved to Ohio a year ago! D & B were leaders of our college group back in the day. I have many fond memories from time spent at their house (some of which they weren't even there for, but that's a story for another blog), being their girls' first babysitter, and always enjoying visiting with them.

I'm not the best at keeping in touch with people; in fact I hadn't talked to them since August (!), but that doesn't mean I don't think of them. I was actually just thinking about them earlier this week. I forgot how much I missed them. I forgot how much they meant to me. Until I saw them today. I actually started crying.

I'm thankful that I have friends like D & B and that we can still feel connected, even with time and distance separating us. I think some friendships have connected souls, friendships like D & B's, who will always hold a very special place in my heart.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive