The Future of Gordon Frederick

March 31, 2008


A few months ago I met up with a friend. I wasn’t expecting to leave with another. But I was unexpectedly given this amazing plant, Gordon Frederick. I wasn’t actively searching for a plant or thinking one would enter my life. But I was pleasantly surprised and grateful for the addition to my world.

Gordon Frederick brought great joy to my life many days. I loved the fact that he was in my life. Just seeing or thinking about him made me happy. I loved spending time with him and talking to him. I especially liked admiring his beautiful sparkly blue leaves.

But now things aren’t looking so good with Gordon Frederick. He’s falling apart and can’t seem to get better. Neither can I. I still give him his necessary feedings for survival. But there’s only so much I can do. The sun shines down on him, but I don’t think he’s soaking it up. The powerful sun is out there every day whether or not we see it. But Gordon Frederick has just got his mind made up that he’s not gonna thrive. He’s not gonna accept the sun. He’s just gonna sit there and do what he needs to do to barely get by.

When Gordon Frederick is this stubborn, what do I do? I haven’t been trained in horticulture. I’m no expert in how to handle this, and I’m currently no model in soaking up the sun.

Do I just let Gordon Frederick go? Would I be better off without him? Would he be better off with somebody who may know how to handle him better? Or somebody who didn’t care about what condition he was in? Somebody who didn’t care that he was dying?

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. You would not be better off without him! You need to fight for little Gordon! I also get very attached to my plants, and have seen many of them go through such a predicament and not survive, but don't give up on him when he has brought you so much joy! This may be the end for him, but I do have a suggestion that might be the saving grace he needs...he may need to be re-potted. Sometimes if a plants roots become too overgrown for the pot it is in, you must give it more room to grow. Mr. Frederick might just be root bound. I must also say, though, that if it doesn't sadden u too greatly when you think of him not being around anymore...then don't put too much more into it and just let him go.

    Maybe it's time for a cactus or a pet rock. :o)

    luv u jennifer!

    katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, this cracks me up. i cannot believe Gordon Frederick has become a metaphor for your life!!! what a riot! (how do i subscribe to your blog?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so sorry for Gordon Frederick. Too bad he just won't submit and enjoy the sun. I also am sad for you because you have invested your time, attention and love, and you will miss Gordon so much.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive