Grateful

March 24, 2008

Today I worked out in the morning – something I haven’t done for a long time. I forgot how chatty the morning crowd is. I am there to work out, NOT socialize. Unlike most of the morning crowd. It’s seriously as if these women have nothing better to do. They’re not on their way to work. Their husbands support them. They’re just out and about cruising around in their Lexus SUVs. They’re CERTAINLY not breaking a sweat. They putz around and are frequently in my way when I switch stations.

While I was working out I overheard two things that hit my heart:

1) A woman whose mom is ill, has been ill for awhile, and is living in a nursing home 2 states away! She said her siblings take care of her, and she was quick to say she always tries to go see her a couple times a year. A couple times a YEAR?!? I guess that’s all it takes to appease her guilt of not being with her.

2) Another woman later in another conversation about cigarette smoke said when her mom (a smoker) would leave after a visit to her house, she would have to open up all the windows and let it air out because she never had the nerve to ask her to not smoke in her house.

I can’t imagine not feeling comfortable enough with my mom to ask her for that courtesy, not to mention the fact that she would never be that discourteous to me!

I am so grateful for a wonderful relationship with my mom. It hasn’t always been that way. I was a horrible daughter when I was in junior high and early high school. I have blocked out most of those details. But I grew up, moved on, and moved out. And I came to realize how much I appreciated her.

Especially in the last couple months as I’ve gone through the valleys of life, she has been there for me. Always. No matter what. She is my rock. I’m so thankful to God for her.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. First off, I just wanted to say that I am SOOO proud of you for working out this morning!!! I know it can be especially hard when you haven't done it in awhile, so yeah... GO YOU!!!

    Second... what a great and touching post about your mom. I'm glad you guys have such a great relationship. It's neat to see how relationships can grow and change, especially once you move out. Like you, I feel kinda bad when I hear people talk about their strained relationships with their moms. Sure, my mom and I don't always see eye-to-eye on everything, but we definitely have become closer friends over the years, and I am so grateful for that.

    Anyway, back to work for me. Have a great day sissy!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive