Lent & Such

February 17, 2010

I was up late last night, and I'm having a hard time functioning today. I wanted to eat a banana for breakfast, but I couldn't open it. Grrr!

Yesterday was Fat Tuesday, and the big local thing is to get paczkis (pronounced "pooch-key"), basically a glorified jelly filled donut - except for the Strawberries & Cream version; that is much better and totally worth it. I have only tried a paczki once - 1 or 2 years ago when some magically appeared in our office. I'm kinda regretting not getting one yesterday. Oh well, there's always next year!

So, that was yesterday. Then there's today. The beginning of Lent. The practice of giving something up for Lent has never been a part of my religious traditions, but the last couple years I keep thinking more and more about it. I'm certain there are plenty of things I should be giving up anyways! Are any of you giving something up for Lent?

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Like you, I did not grow up giving up things for lent. But last year, I was challenged to try it. And I gave up computer games (i.e. the ones on fb to which I was horribly addicted). This year, God has challenged me to give up sleeping in. Yikes! Because I'm realizing that I love my sleep WAY too much. And I need to trust Him enough to get me out of bed and get me through the day. Good thing He doesn't ask more than I can give, huh? :D
    Hope your day gets better.
    Can't wait 'til July 4. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here...Lent was never emphasized as a part of the Easter season as I grew up or even after I became an adult. I was reluctant to celebrate it because the few people I seen observing it didn't appear to incorporate much spirituality in their daily lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We never observed Lent growing up, even though we lived in a predominantly Catholic country. I think that's par for the course in Protestant circles. I think we (as Protestants) are kind of missing something in not observing some of these time-old traditions. I think we could learn a lot by learning more about them and maybe even taking some of them up again.

    That said, I'm not giving anything up for Lent, either! ha! It's hard to think about giving up anything when I'm just about to go to the land of plenty!!! Oh, I know! Maybe I will give up cooking from scratch!!! That sounds good to me! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am giving up coffee! I know it is a little crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive