The Best Gift

September 18, 2013

My husband gave me the best gift this past weekend.

Something I never would have even thought to put on a wishlist.

Something I didn't even know I wanted or needed.

He gave me the gift of solitude.

Yah, peace and quiet.  Maybe you've heard of it.  I had heard of it but hadn't experienced it for a long, long time.
 

If you know me, you know I am crazy about my daughter.  Love her SO much.  But at the same time, being with her non-stop, 24/7 can be a bit tiresome after awhile.

I mean, no real break from her or from being responsible for her.

So, this past weekend had Josh heading one county west with Catherine while I stayed here for one of many recent meetings.  The plans were for me to join them later.  But the meeting ran late, I wasn't packed, and I didn't relish the thought of taking both cars out of town.  I started getting this crazy idea...

"I wonder if Josh would let me stay in Goshen while he and Catherine go on to his parents for the night."

Totally unprecedented and a bit unorthodox, but the more I thought about it, the more I absolutely freaking LOVED the idea!!!

He granted me my wish.  And, oh my, did I enjoy my solitude!  I soaked it up!  It was like I was single again!  Carefree!  Free!  Jolly!  Joyous!  Footless!  Fancy-free!

I kicked back and relaxed.  I went to the movie theater for a matinee!  I went shopping and out to dinner with my friend.  We were in no hurry.  We shut down the stores and then the restaurant.  We even got to watch the Notre Dame football game on tv - in its entirety!

And oh how it refreshed me and renewed me.  And made me love and appreciate my family even more and delight in their return the following day.

After sleeping in of course!

Oh what a blessing a little alone time can be!


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Sometimes I think we feel like as moms we shouldn't want time away. But it makes us so much more effective -- as moms, as wives, as women -- when we get it! So glad you got to enjoy your solitude, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXACTLY!!
    (Uh-oh... You are sounding more and more like your mother.)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive