Grateful Number Five

November 13, 2012

5.  I'm so grateful that God knows better than I do.

I was driving home from Aldi this evening when a song came on the radio that took me back to a time long ago and to a former crush.  Man, seriously, God protected me from so many lousy relationships.  I look at how this former crush has turned out, and I think about how other former crushes and former boyfriends or pseudo boyfriends have turned out.  I'm so glad I didn't end up with any of them.

Now I see a workaholic,
an alcoholic,
one who can't hold down a job,
one who didn't want children,
one who didn't see freedom in Christ,
one who wouldn't sing with me in church...

I could go on and on.

I am beyond grateful that God knew better than I did and did not allow of those past relationships to continue.  Of course at the time, I was naively seeing only the dreamy, good things and wearing blinders to the bad.

"God, why won't you just let me have what I want??"  I don't think I used those exact words, but that was pretty much my sentiment when none of the relationships continued.

And it wasn't until years later that my blinders were removed, and I saw all that God had protected me from.

Thank you, God.  Thank you for doing things in Your time, not mine.  Thank you for knowing better than I do.



You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Thanks, Jen. I really needed to read this. God has graciously saved me from a lot of bad relationships too. I am still waiting for my "someone," but I am keeping in mind that it is all in His timing! :) I am so happy for you and Josh and love to see the pictures of your little family on Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks, Holly! I was having a hard time getting all my thoughts and feelings into words, so I'm glad it made sense to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I KNOW there are a lot of women who would agree with this post, including your own mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen Sister!!!!!! For all you women out there needing more encouragement...I was single for the first 37.5 years of my life. I've been married for 501 days today! God IS Faithful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. God's plan is always the best...I'm thankful that He brought such a wonderful, God-fearing man into my life. Just think you were blest because God blest me with Josh's dad, a wonderful husband and loving father. God seen the big picture which included you and Catherine/

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive