Rhubarb Bars

June 04, 2012

I'm calling these treats Rhubarb Bars because it's fun to say.  Go ahead, try it.  Rhubarb Bars.

Told ya so!

I have loved anything with rhubarb since I was a little kid living in Minnesota (that was a L O N G time ago!!) where we used to grow it in our garden.  But this is the first time I've actually done anything with it (other than eat it).

I got the recipe from a co-worker who got the recipe from a friend who works at a fabulous local restaurant with a well known bakery.  They aren't particularly attractive looking, but they taste soooo good!  I may have eaten an entire row the evening I made them.  Shhhh...

Since some friends asked for the recipe I thought I'd post it here.  Enjoy!

Rhubarb Bars

2 c flour
3/4 c powdered sugar
1 c butter

4 eggs
2 c sugar
1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 c rhubarb diced

Grease cookie sheet (Texas sheet/jelly roll pan) and press mixture of first three ingredients onto pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  While baking, prepare filling of five remaining ingredients.  Pour filling on hot crust and bake 40-45 minutes until light brown.

I made them in a 9 x 13 pan, but it may require adjusting the baking time.  You can also substitute some strawberries for the rhubarb.  Other notes:  I used margarine instead of butter (I always do), and the crust was still great.  And I didn't use the full amount of sugar called for.  I rarely do.

Do you have a favorite rhubarb recipe you'd like to share with me?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive