Christmas Confusion

December 14, 2011

Christmas decorating, Christmas shopping, Christmas cards, Christmas baking, Christmas tree, Christmas stockings... Sad that thinking of so many Christmas related things causes extreme stress in my life.

Every year I tell myself it will be different.

Even this year with a severe scale back of gift giving (hallelujah), I'm still feeling overwhelmed.

It makes me sad to think of not having a Christmas tree this year. But I'm overwhelmed by the mere pondering of, "Should we buy an artificial tree?" If it wasn't a $200 investment, maybe it wouldn't be as overwhelming. Do we get a real one? Do we buy a fake one if we'll be getting a real one next year? Realistically, is anyone even gonna have the time and energy to put up any dang tree this year?!

We have stockings for Josh & I. But, of course, none for baby. Do we get her one that doesn't go with ours? Do we get 3 new coordinating ones? What about for future Christmases with potential future children and their stockings?

I want to get an ornament for our daughter. My parents got ornaments for my brother and I every Christmas. In fact, they still do. I'd like to do the same for our girl. How many stores do I have to traipse out to to find the perfect ornament for her? Because last I knew, I don't really go out to stores - or anywhere - anymore.

I know without a doubt I'm not doing any baking. I can't even muster up the energy to make myself a sandwich these days.

I've done Christmas cards and a Christmas letter for the last several years. I really want to do one this year, but I'm feeling overwhelmed (there's that word again) by the thought of it all. We sent 51 letters/cards/pictures last year. Half of the recipients see and hear it all on facebook. Do the other half even care to get such things? And then there's the Baby Announcement...

Can I stop yet?

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Jonathan always tells me to breathe! :) It sounds like that may be good advice for you too! :) The good news is that Catherine won't remember what her stocking looks like this year! I'd say it's fine if it doesn't match, especially this year! :) Lord knows you have a lot on your plate. I can't imagine the adjustment period you are going thru. Just remember and this may sound cliche, but "He is the Reason for the Season"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My advice: (1) Forget about getting a new tree, whether real or artificial. Why not use that little 3-4 foot tree again? That would mean no monetary investment at this time; and, according to your blog of December 3 yrs ago, it only took 40 minutes to put it up. BUT, you don't really need to have even that one! Just do whatever you can and quit worrying about it!
    (2) Do not get 3 new stockings. You wouldn't get all new stockings for future Christmases, etc, as your family potentially increases, would you? You like the 2 you have for you and Josh; hers does not have to match or coordinate.
    (3)If you want, I would love to take you and Katie shopping some afternoon to find an ornament you want for her. Plus, I think you need a break and change of scenery. You have been home too long.
    (4) Now, don't worry about a Christmas letter or cards. If you want to, you can do a belated letter or Happy New Year or Valentines or whatever... IF you want to.
    (5) Just remember, right now you have enough going on with a new baby. You don't need the pressure of trying to achieve the "perfect Christmas." As J-La-Sta said, "HE is the reason for the season." HE already gave us the perfect Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your mom has some GREAT advice!! I personally am just getting done whatever I get to and letting the rest go... I just can't do it all, and I will wreck myself trying. Heck, I might even get some of the stuff post this Christmas so that I can have more time-- and as a bonus get it on sale for next year! It's been my new mantra lately to just do as much as I can, and then take time to enjoy what I HAVE, instead of worrying about everything I haven't gotten to. Not always easy, but I'm a work in progress. And like both of the ladies stated, it's not about having all your "stockings in a row"... it's about Jesus. Too often we get our perspectives out of whack. (I know I do)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want to get an artificial tree wait till after Christmas and get it on clearance :) This is a very special Christmas because it is Katie's first but she will not remember any of it :) What traditions etc. you do will be for you. So don't stress out, when Katie is older it will be a lot more fun to do baking, decorating etc. with her. Have fun and enjoy the season :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive