Teacher Appreciation

September 26, 2017

Hey friends,

If you're following me on Instagram (and if you're not, you should), you may have seen me talk the other day on my InstaStory about getting to do little appreciation gifts for my daughter's teachers.

I thought I'd share here too in a more permanent place because teacher appreciation gifts seem to be something people are often wanting ideas on.

So, I'm a big fan of multi-packs of little notecards. I'll get them on clearance at TJ Maxx or from the Dollar Spot at Target or Dayspring has them at our local Christian bookstore. I can get an eight pack for $1. You can do blank notecards or thank you cards or even celebratory cards like "Hooray!" and add a note like "You survived another day!" or "It's Friday!"



I spent a couple years on a church team that ministered to a local elementary school, so I was used to making little teacher appreciation gifts for 60+ teachers and staff, so getting to focus now on my daughter's teachers is great. She has a teacher and a teacher's assistant in there full-time, so I'd doing gifts for both. Maybe that's because I used to work as a teacher's assistant, and I know we didn't receive a lot of attention or appreciation, so I have no problem including the assistant. I suppose if I'm feeling ambitious I could do an occasional little gift for her PE and music teachers, as well, but mainly I'm focusing on the people who work with my daughter every day.

At the beginning of the year I asked them both to fill out a form to help us get to know them better and to ask some of their favorites, for example, favorite drinks, favorite Bath & Body scents, birthday, etc. I also gave them a place to list anything that do have enough of/don't want more of, which surprisingly, they both left blank, ha!

This definitely gave me some good ideas for personalizing gifts! I am the kind of person who likes knowing I'm giving something that will be appreciated, so I plan to do this again for future teachers.

So, the other day I went to our local bakery, picked up a tray of discounted "day old" cookies, put a couple in little zipped baggies, wrote a brief note of thanks, and taped the card onto the baggie.


Wondering what to say to teachers? Here are some ideas...
  • Thanks for all you do
  • I appreciate your sacrifices
  • Thank you for your hard work
  • We're so grateful you're Catherine's teacher
  • We appreciate you
  • Have a great day/week/weekend/fall break
  • It's Monday; you deserve a treat!
It doesn't need to be anything lengthy or fancy. Just express genuine gratitude. Speaking as a teacher's wife and a former educator, they do so much and receive so little in return, so anything I can give to them whether it be a cookie, a smile, a note of thanks, or a Starbucks gift card, I will take the time to do! I encourage you to, as well!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive