When Your Family Christmas Photo Isn't What You Planned

November 29, 2014


Isn't there some great quote about good intentions and plans?

Well, life doesn't always go as planned.

I'm sure we've all learned that by now.
In one way or another.

I shared about it before, but it was never our plan that Catherine would be our only child.


I don't want to offend or hurt others with sensitive topics, but at the same time, I want to write my thoughts.  So, if you are sensitive to the subjects of having children, only children, conceiving, pregnancy, or infertility and don't want to read or think about such things, feel free to skip this post.

I've started writing this post a few times in my head but never actually on the laptop.

Or the blog.
Where others can see it.

But I'm all about keeping it real lately.  I am encouraged when others do, so maybe my risk of vulnerability will be in some small way an encouragement to someone who needs it.

For the last few years I've created a grand Christmas card/letter/photo montage.

Yes, even when I was single.

I know the idea of doing such a thing is sometimes mocked, but I think it's great.  I'm always happy to get something like that from others in the mail and to keep up with friends from far away.  I also enjoy documenting a review of the year - maybe since my memory is so bad!

There may have been one year in there right after Catherine was born where it didn't happen because it was just too crazy of a time adjusting to life with a newborn, but I'm not sure (See:  I told you I had a bad memory).

For the last two years we've hired a photographer to take Family Photos for the purpose of including them in the annual Christmas card/letter/photo montage.

2012

2013


This year, however, I've just kept putting it off and putting it off and finding one excuse after another and finally having to accept the fact that Family Photos just might not happen this year.

And do you know why I haven't been so eager to make it happen?

Because this isn't the family I thought I would have this year.

Whoa.  I just wrote that.

Please please don't hear me saying that I'm not grateful for the family I have.  I am incredibly grateful for this family that God has put together.


But when I think about poses and I compare our family to other Family Pictures (it's quite hard to find families of three where the child isn't a baby), and then I find the families with a multitude of children. . .

It feels as if there should be another member to our family.

Oh man, this sounds ridiculous when I put it out there.  I know we have been blessed with our child, and I know there are those who would be happy with "just" one.  I am happy.

But it's been a process.  An adjustment.  And a letting go of my desires and my expectations (there's that word again) and my wants and the comparisons of others.

(Go ahead.  Insert the Frozen theme song here.)

And I guess I'm learning to do that.  To let go.

Because guess what:

It looks like we're actually getting Family Pictures taken this weekend.  Pray for me.  Pray for us.  Heck, pray for our photographer as he has to deal with us!

So, that's step one.

Step two will be actually choosing a photo to represent our family.

Step three will be ordering the photo cards and sharing them with our friends and family across the states.

And saying:  This is our family.  Our family of three.  That I am so blessed to have.  And so grateful for.  And I'm not going to love them any less if we are not blessed with more.

May I have that contentment.  May I have that peace.  May I have that joy.

Because this is so true:  "Comparison is the thief of joy."  - Theodore Roosevelt

I want to celebrate the crazy, silly family that we are.  Even if it doesn't look how we thought it would.  It it truly something to be thankful for!


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord.  - Jeremiah 29:11

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing Jen! I did not know of your struggles in this area of your life. I just read this blog and the link included. Even if I wonder about these things...ie..if people are planning on having additional children, etc...I usually don't ask. I've been there with the "do you have a boyfriend?", "when are you gonna get married"? and I hated those questions! We are a Family of 2 and we are happy with that! Family comes in all sorts of ways! I pray for God's will to be done and for peace and contentment for you regardless of what happens. I know, easier said than done. You guys are a very cute family of 3 and I pray that God grants you the desires of your heart in his timing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,
    Thanks for making me cry!!! And thank you for putting to words the way I feel as well! I am so grateful for Claire, but I, too, struggle with family photos, photos of three because this isn't the way I saw life or the what I believed God to have in store for me. I struggle with letting go, especially as many others move on and add on so effortlessly. I struggle being friends with women with multiple children as watching their children play with one another pains my heart. I even prayed today at church about this very topic and letting go of my family desires---May I let go and find peace with His decision and may I stop feeling such pain when I hear of blessings and see larger families.
    Hugs and prayers to you as you go thru this journey!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive