Forgotten February

February 05, 2014

My new friend Helen has declared February the Month of Forgotten Hobbies.

As a mom, I feel like forgotten is a great word for me.

In many ways.

Have you heard of "Mommy Brain"?  Or "Pregnancy Brain"?  Having a child does something to you that makes you forget things.

Sept. 2011

But maybe that's a good thing.  Or at least an okay thing.

Maybe it's God's way of preparing you for motherhood.

Because as a mother you are constantly having to forget your own wants - and needs - to care for your child.

I remember when we came home from the hospital and for the first couple weeks, Josh and I barely ate.  And of course for the first couple months we barely slept.  Food and rest are things that most people would say are necessities.  But when you have someone so little and so dependent on you, you instinctively put their needs above your own.

Being a mother can also make you feel like everything you were before motherhood has been forgotten.

Since I spend 24/7 with my daughter, it is easy to have my identity become so fully focused on being her mother that I forget who I am outside of that one aspect.

This topic is a bit too tough on my tender spirit right now, but maybe someday I'll allow myself to contemplate it more deeply.

Feb. 2009
Poor February.  It gets a lot of hate.  Probably related to the weather.

But I LOVE February!  It's the month of love - Valentine's Day!  I don't view Valentine's Day as some day made up by the greeting card industry (is there a "greeting card industry"?).  Instead I see it as a beautiful time to be grateful for those I love.

And loving others is always a good thing.

In addition to February having a celebration of love, it also holds a celebration of me!  Oh yes, it's my birthday month!  For the last few years I've felt awkward about throwing myself a party to celebrate my birthday, but I've come to the realization that planning parties is something I enjoy doing, so it only makes sense to do something I enjoy to celebrate my birthday.  Right?

Aug. 2007
I've never been good at daily blogging.  But I've also never claimed to be.  I can't commit to daily writing.  But maybe I can commit to remembering.


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I do understand. I felt that same way -- forgotten, for a long time. Motherhood tends to usurp your own personality and desires (for a time), but putting yourself into your children is worth the effort. Dad and I are very proud of how you and your brother have turned out. No, I am not taking credit for that; both of you had to make your own choices. But still... speaking about my experience, it was TOTALLY worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive