Red & Turquoise

June 21, 2011

Since I got so much love from posting yesterday (and since I have the time) I decided I'd write again today.

I received a lot of feedback about the color combo of red and turquoise. I must admit I did not come up with this gem. My friend and co-worker Tobi did. She designs scrapbook layouts so she is creative like that. She briefly mentioned the combo in class to some of our students, one of whom promptly used those two colors to design some geometric shape he was creating for math class. It looked great! And inspiration struck!

I was planning a bridal shower for my friends J & J last month and wasn't sure what colors or theme to use. I had just picked up a set of porcelain stands with red ribbon woven through the edges (seeing the picture below is better than me trying to describe them) over spring break and wanted to use them somehow in the spread. Knowing their wedding color is similar to turquoise (I think it's official name is oasis), I realized I could decorate with the theme of those two colors.

It was super exciting to put together my serving pieces or partyware as I like to call them. Partyware is kind of something I collect I guess you could say. I feel like it's been too long since I've gotten much use out of them, but I know that will change once we have more space to entertain. I kid you not, I finalized the shower menu based on what partyware I wanted to use. Reminds me of the days when I used to plan an outfit based on what purse I wanted to carry that day.

Warning: if you have zero interest in entertaining you might want to skip over the next section. However, I burst at the seams when it comes to this kind of stuff. So, here's what we ended up with (you can view it larger by clicking on the picture:


We set the table with Mom's red tablecloth and added turquoise placemats, which were a wedding gift. From the left we have red plates (sale at Meijer) and turquoise napkins (leftover from our wedding reception, bought them from a great place in Elkhart), a crockpot of meatballs (they tasted as if I actually knew what I was doing when I made the sauce to go with them!), pigs in a blanket (hadn't made these in ages!) on a red platter. Oh, and the spoon rest for the meatballs is turquoise (got it in Broad Ripple in Indy with Charissa a couple years ago)! Next in the back is the new stands that started this whole spread (scroll down for a close-up). I got those at Home Goods (my new favorite store) in Schaumburg over spring break. The fab cheese ball was on sale at Martin's! The fresh strawberries were perfect in my turquoise colander (I think I squealed when I realized I could use that as partyware!) from Maine. To manage water drippage (and make the colander pop) I placed the colander on a platter that contained, among other colors, red and aqua diamonds - one of my very first partyware pieces.

Next is a great square shaped bowl set on a platter with an aqua and white Celtic design; this held a seasoned Chex mix. I didn't want the menu too stuffy or fancy as it was a co-ed shower. In front of that were fresh veggies on a red platter (I got those red platters on clearance after Valentine's Day or Christmas one year) along with a light dill dip in a turquoise bowl (I got a set of these at the fabulous Junk Evolution for our wedding reception dessert and candy buffet). Stay with me; I'm almost done. Finally in back is red cups from Meijer, a spread of sodas, and a turquoise pitcher (wedding gift) with water with lemon. In front is a glass turquoise platter with cream puffs. This platter I normally use for decor, not food. I had a set of votives on it, but I/Josh made sure to wash it real good. I got it at a cute store in St. Joseph, MI and later went back and got a matching square one as well. The rectangular one is on display in our office; the square in our living room. It worked out well that a lot of our home decor and wedding decor is/was aqua.

Here's a close-up of the new stands.

The cake was great too; the couple requested a boston creme style. It looked and tasted fabulous! I have THE best cake lady! (The bride's and groom's nicknames are J-La & J-Stan)
And I just had to throw this in as well. Yes, I wore turquoise to match the decor. And the bride-to-be noticed! :)

We rented the community center at the couple's apartment complex to hold the shower. Had a nice turnout, good visiting, a fun game where the bride tried to guess the groom's answers to questions such as "How much cash are you carrying right now?" and "What brand of deodorant do you use?" and the groom tried to answer questions for the bride such as, "What did you wear on your first date" and "If you could get rid of one of his things, what would it be?" I must say they did quite well! We did cake and gifts and wrapped it up. Easy peazy and fun!

Congratulations, Jen and Jonathan!

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. And a fun time was had by all!
    Nice work, hostess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! The decorating looks beautiful! I do love that color combination. I love to sew so I read a lot of sewing and quilting blogs, and I have seen that color combo on there a lot, also on decorating blogs. So you are right in there with the trend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I wish I lived closer so we could entertain together! =) I put on a red shirt the other day, & something told me I should wear my turquoise jewelry, but I chickened out. Are you giving me permission??! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww Jen! I'm finally back to blogging and finally catching up on your blogs and I absolutely LOVE this one! You did a fantastic job on the shower! We are very thankful for all you have done for us! Love you! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE THIS! THANK YOU SO much for all of your hard work! I still appreciate it more than you know! You are great at party planning, party organization and carrying it all out! :-) I forgot about that pic of me and Jon! <3 it!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive